Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was published in the March 2004 issue of "Delicious" magazine. I buy this publication often, and this recipe has inspired me to make a spectacular dessert. I hope you enjoy it!
- To make the toffee plums, place all ingredients, except plums, in a saucepan with 1 litre water.
- Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add plums, and cook for 10-15 minutes, or, until they are just tender (this will depend on their ripeness).
- Set aside to cool, in the poaching liquid.
- Plums will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Pre heat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- Grease and line a 2cm-deepX37cm baking tray.
- Beat egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer, until stiff peaks form.
- Add sugar in a slow, steady stream, and continue to beat for about 5 minutes, or until thick and glossy.
- Gently fold in Vanilla, Vinegar and Cornflour.
- Spread meringue into pan and flatten gently with a spatula.
- Bake for 20 minutes then allow to cool in the pan.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar until thick.
- Turn meringue onto a piece of baking paper, dusted with icing sugar, and spread with the sweetened cream.
- Drain plums, reserving liquid, and remove the stones.
- Chop 6 plums, then spread on top of the cream.
- Starting from the short end, gently roll the Roulade away from you, using the paper to keep it in shape.
- Wrap the whole Roulade in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Just before serving, place the plum poaching liquid in a pan over medium heat, and reduce until almost toffee-like in consistency.
- Cool slightly.
- Place thick slice of Roulade on each plate, with 2 or 3 plums, then drizzle with sauce.
I was looking for a dairy and wheat free desert, so really only made the pavlova bit, rolled it up without the cream in and then served it raspberries and an optional big dollop of cream. The meringue is great - easy to make and quick. Instead of vanilla, I flavored it with rosewater. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will definitely be making this again