Janine Smith's Note:
This recipe was published in the March 2004 issue of "Delicious" magazine. I buy this publication often, and this recipe has inspired me to make a spectacular dessert. I hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- 1To make the toffee plums, place all ingredients, except plums, in a saucepan with 1 litre water.
- 2Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- 3Add plums, and cook for 10-15 minutes, or, until they are just tender (this will depend on their ripeness).
- 4Set aside to cool, in the poaching liquid.
- 5Plums will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
- 6Pre heat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- 7Grease and line a 2cm-deepX37cm baking tray.
- 8Beat egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer, until stiff peaks form.
- 9Add sugar in a slow, steady stream, and continue to beat for about 5 minutes, or until thick and glossy.
- 10Gently fold in Vanilla, Vinegar and Cornflour.
- 11Spread meringue into pan and flatten gently with a spatula.
- 12Bake for 20 minutes then allow to cool in the pan.
- 13Whip the cream with the icing sugar until thick.
- 14Turn meringue onto a piece of baking paper, dusted with icing sugar, and spread with the sweetened cream.
- 15Drain plums, reserving liquid, and remove the stones.
- 16Chop 6 plums, then spread on top of the cream.
- 17Starting from the short end, gently roll the Roulade away from you, using the paper to keep it in shape.
- 18Wrap the whole Roulade in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 19Just before serving, place the plum poaching liquid in a pan over medium heat, and reduce until almost toffee-like in consistency.
- 20Cool slightly.
- 21Place thick slice of Roulade on each plate, with 2 or 3 plums, then drizzle with sauce.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pavlova Roulade, served with Toffee Plums
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 703.4
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 56.6 mg
- Sodium 64.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 91.3 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: