Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A simple dessert. Great as a dinner party dessert. You can use any filling of your choice- lemon or passionfruit curd, whipped cream and fruit such as strawberries or fruit salad. Great also with cream and finely chopped nuts or flaked chocolate. As a low fat option you can use vanilla yogurt and strawberries. This dessert is gluten-free as it has no flour- just ensure your fillings are also GF
- 4 large egg whites (or you can use 6 small egg whites)
- 1 cup caster sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup desiccated coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C ( 325°F ) Grease a slab tin.
- Place all of the ingredients in a mixer bowl and beat untill stiff peaks form.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared tin. Sprinkle with the slivered almonds and coconut, if desired- this is optional and not a necessity.
- Bake at 160°C for 20 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to 140°C and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn the pavlova out onto a clean tea-towel. Roll up from the widest side. Cool.
- When cool, unwrap the pavlova and fill as desired. It's best not to overfill as it will be harder to roll and slice.
- Re-roll and serve cut into slices.
- The roll is best eaten with 24 hours.