Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lemon filling. From Celia Goodrick-Clark Recipe of the day. I made this for a dinner party - it was absolutely wonderful. I used non stick paper, put the pavlova on another sheet and rolled it up before it cooled. Simple to unroll and fill.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 cup whipped cream
- To make the pavlova: Beat the egg whites until soft peaks, then slowly add the sugar. When stiff, add the vanilla essence, white vinegar and boiling water.
- Spread the mixture about 2cm (3/4 inch) thick in the shape of a rectangle onto a foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with a mixture of brown sugar and coconut and bake for 10 - 15 minutes at 150C/300Fgas 1-2. Cool and turn out onto a clean tea towel.
- To make the filling: beat the egg yolks lightly and add the sugar, lemon rind and juice. Microwave on medium until thick - check and stir at 30 second intervals. Cool and mix with the cream.
- Spread over the pavlova and roll up, using the tea towel to help.