Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Living in Australia, there are many versions of this meringue dessert around. After years of experimenting, this is THE ONE for me. Its easy to make and I usually make it the day before (keep it in the cold oven) and decorate before serving.
- 6 egg whites
- 5 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 6 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Mix the cornflour and sugar together. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the vinegar and vanilla. Add the flour and sugar then add the boiling water. Beat on high until the mixture becomes thick and glossy (around 10-15 minutes).
- Pile onto a flat plate (if you don't have a pav plate - use a pizza plate)lined with baking paper. Pile it about 5cm high and smooth out the sides a little. Don't go to the edges of the plate as it will spread out. You don't want to end up with a meringue pancake!
- Cook in a moderate oven (180 deg. celsius) for 10 minutes and then turn down to 130 degrees celsius for another 1hr and 20 minutes. Make sure to watch that it doesn't start to colour too much. Cool in the oven. Leave it there until ready to decorate if possible.
- Decorate as you wish - cream, strawberries, kiwi fruit, passionfruit or your fruit of choice or just good old cream and grated chocolate. Refrigerate until ready to serve.