Recipe by Debudder
This is a traditional New Zealand summer dessert, rich and sweet easy to make and very impressive. Can be made ahead and frozen for a week or 2. As yet have not found anyone who dislikes it.
Top Review by Aussienana
Great pavlova. I agree with DoubletheGarlic though in regards to the cooking time. I always bake mine at around 130'C. for about 1hour. Works pretty well. Pre heating the oven to 180'C and then turning it off and leaving in the oven to cook would probably work too. DO NOT COOK at 180'C for 90 minutes, it will burn and be revolting.
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg whites and cornflour well with electric mixer.
- Add vinegar and vanilla beat 1-2 minutes.
- Add sugar gradually while beating continue beating until sugar is dissolved and mixture forms stiff peaks. This takes about 10-15 minutes, your mixture should look smooth and very glossy.
- Moisten baking paper with a little water.
- Spread mixture on paper about 2-3 inches deep in a circle.
- Place in preheated oven 180 C and bake 1.1/2 hours - turn off the oven and allow to come to room temperature. Do not open the oven during the cooling as it may cause the pavlova to collapse.
- Cover with whipped cream and decorate with either chocolate, nuts or fruit, serve either on its own or with fruit.