Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A crisp crunchy meringue filled with a light marshmallow interior
- 4 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons cornflour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Separate your egg whites ensuring no yolk remains, pour the whites into a cool or room temp bowl and check to make sure there is no fat or oil on the beaters or bowl, any fat will prevent the whites from whipping correctly.
- Whip the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks and then add the cold water slowly while whipping.
- Fold in the caster sugar gradually, followed by the vinegar, vanilla, cornflour and cream of tartar while whipping.
- Scoop out the mix onto a sheet of baking paper, using a spatula mold the mix into a circle around 20cm wide and then create a slight well in the center, sloping it out towards the edges, this will stop the pavlova from cracking as much.
- Bake at 150°C for 50 minutes turning halfway through, when finished turn off the oven and open the door, leaving the pavlova in the oven for an hour or two, transfer it to the fridge and allow it to cool, it has a very eggy flavour when eaten raw.