Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
While escorting a tour in New Zealand we had the privilege of spending an evening at Shirley Hill's home in Christchurch where she served this wonderful dessert. The recipe she shared with me was not as precise as noted below . . . she was just one of those cooks who knew when it was right! Note that the unsweetened whipped cream will be absorbed into the meringue so need to sweeten.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups whipped cream, whipped (unsweetened)
- fresh fruit
- chopped nuts
- Preheat oven 400°F.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
- Gently add sugar and beat until stiff and dry peaks form.
- Gently fold in other ingredients.
- Pile mixture onto prepared cookie sheet, shaping into a high circle that is slightly smaller than the intended serving dish.
- Reduce oven to 200°F.
- Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until dry to the touch.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Place on serving dish.
- Garnish with unsweetened whipping cream and fruit (kiwi, passion fruit, berries, etc.) and/or chopped nuts.