4 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Muffin Goddess's Note:
Lovely Brazilian dessert recipe from the CookBrazil website (I make this one often). Not exactly a dieter's dream, but some fat-free ingredients can be substituted to cut the calorie and fat count without compromising the dish. Although prep and cook times are long, very little of it is hands-on (chilling time and boiling of the dulce de leche are included).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
DULCE DE LECHE
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (lowfat or fat-free okay)
- 1 (7 ounce) package maria cookies (see note below)
- 1 cup milk (I use skim or fat-free half & half)
- 1NOTE: Maria cookies are usually found in the ethnic/Hispanic foods section of grocery stores. Hard ladyfingers or graham crackers may be substituted.
- 2Remove label from condensed milk can.
- 3Place UNOPENED can in a large saucepan and cover it with water.
- 4Boil for 1 to 1. 5 hours, making sure that the top of the can is always covered with at least a half-inch of water to prevent an explosion (if the water level becomes too low, just add some more hot water to the pan until can is sufficiently covered).
- 5Remove can from water with tongs or a strainer and set aside to cool.
- 6Allow can to come to room temp before opening (hot can is under pressure and will spray you if opened).
- 7With a mixer, beat the butter/margarine and sugar until well-mixed (3-5 min. depending on strength of your mixer).
- 8Add yolks, one by one, beating well after each addition.
- 9Add cocoa powder now if you want a chocolate pavé (very good this way).
- 10Beat in vanilla extract and heavy cream (beat only until mixture is homogeneous and fluffy- it will become grainy if overmixed).
- 11Pour milk or half-and-half in a shallow dish for moistening cookies.
- 12In a 2-quart glass casserole or 8x8" dish, dip cookies one by one and form a layer to cover the bottome of the casserole.
- 13Next, spread half of the butter-cream mixture over the cookies.
- 14Top with another layer of moistened cookies and rest of the butter-cream mixture, ending with a layer of moistened cookies.
- 15Spread entire can of room-temp dulce de leche over the dessert.
- 16Sprinkle with roasted peanuts, and decorate with maraschino cherries that have been patted dry.
- 17Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnite to allow layers to fully blend.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pave de Biscoito Maria (Layered Cookie Tart)
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.6
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 166.0 mg
- Sodium 155.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 33.9 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: