Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
It's the Indian vegetarian version of sloppy joes. This recipe is from the Everest Pav Bhaji Masala box. It can be made using all sorts of bread, but a lighter white bread is best. Potatoes, cauliflower, green pepper and peas are traditional vegetables, but you can substitute other vegetables, like carrots, that will get soft enough to mash. Buy your pav bhaji masala online, at an Indian store, or you can make your own.
- Saute garlic and most of the onions in oil until soft.
- Add pav bhaji powder,salt, and tomatoes and roast.
- Boil the vegetables and when soft mash them. Mash should be runnier than the consistency of mashed potatoes, but not watery.
- Add vegetables to the tomato mix and cook for approximately 3-5 minutes, until heated thoroughly. Add more water, if necessary to prevent burning.
- While the vegetables are doing their final cooking, butter the bun halves and grill them on a griddle.
- Put 1/4 stick of butter and coriander leaves on top of the vegetables.
- Put hamburger bun halves on your plate and top with plenty of vegetable mix. Sprinkle with remaining onion (it should still be raw) and a wedge of lemon to squeeze over it all.