Recipe by charlie #5
This is SO good. We like to dip pita or parantha bread in it. Bet it would be good wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. Our friends from India dip hot dog buns in it. It makes a lot - freeze some for later. The spice packet I buy at an Indian grocers or Middle Eastern store. The label says Badshah Bombay Bhaji Pav Masala. It comes in a 3 1/4 oz pkg. Use half of it. I have no idea how many people this serves.
Top Review by Grendel0
Looove this recipe! I couldn't find the masala sauce (although I'll admit that I didn't try too hard to be authentic)... But at my local grocery store (big chain kinda deal) I found "Patak's Tikka Masala Curry sauce-did the trick! I followed the rest of the recipe and added the sauce instead of water, with some sriracha for more of a kick. Oh, and I threw in a little fresh cilantro. I scoured the internet for a good pav bhaji recipe, and this one was fantastic! Me (and my roommates!) absolutely loved it. Be warned, however, that it makes a TON of food! So good, thanks so much for sharing!
- 1 head cauliflower, separate into large chunks
- 4 -5 carrots, cut in large chunks
- 4 -5 potatoes, cut in large chunks
- 1 lb frozen peas
- 2 medium onions
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 -4 tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 green chili pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 3⁄4 ounces pav bhaji masala, seasoning
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the cauliflower, carrots, potatoes and peas covered for 30 minutes. Drain well. Mash thoroughly with a potato masher.
- In a food processor, mince the onion. In a large pot saute' the onion in a little vegetable oil until it's translucent.
- In a food processor, puree the tomatoes, garlic and green chili. Saute' the tomato mixture with the onion until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the mashed vegetables to the onion/tomato mixture.
- Add 2 C water.
- Add the Pav Bhaji Masala, chili powder, turmeric and salt.
- Gradually add the remaining 4 C water. You may want more or less to achieve the consistency you desire.
- Add the stick of butter.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 30-45 minutes.
- Adjust spices to taste.