charlie #5's Note:
This is SO good. We like to dip pita or parantha bread in it. Bet it would be good wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. Our friends from India dip hot dog buns in it. It makes a lot - freeze some for later. The spice packet I buy at an Indian grocers or Middle Eastern store. The label says Badshah Bombay Bhaji Pav Masala. It comes in a 3 1/4 oz pkg. Use half of it. I have no idea how many people this serves.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head cauliflower, separate into large chunks
- 4 -5 carrots, cut in large chunks
- 4 -5 potatoes, cut in large chunks
- 1 lb frozen peas
- 2 medium onions
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 -4 tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 green chili pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 3/4 ounces pav bhaji masala, seasoning
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1Boil the cauliflower, carrots, potatoes and peas covered for 30 minutes. Drain well. Mash thoroughly with a potato masher.
- 2In a food processor, mince the onion. In a large pot saute' the onion in a little vegetable oil until it's translucent.
- 3In a food processor, puree the tomatoes, garlic and green chili. Saute' the tomato mixture with the onion until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- 4Add the mashed vegetables to the onion/tomato mixture.
- 5Add 2 C water.
- 6Add the Pav Bhaji Masala, chili powder, turmeric and salt.
- 7Gradually add the remaining 4 C water. You may want more or less to achieve the consistency you desire.
- 8Add the stick of butter.
- 9Cover and cook over low heat for 30-45 minutes.
- 10Adjust spices to taste.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pav Bhaji
Serving Size: 1 (551 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.6
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 2887.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pav bhaji masala