Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
I spent a lot of time downloading and evaluating different jerky recipies. I made a list of all the various ingredients and started to narrow down the ones I liked and didn't like. After a few hunting seasons and patience I found the right combination.
- 1⁄4 cup liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 2⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean cut beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs deer
- Add together all but the meat in a sauce pan or glass dish if you microwave.
- Bring to to a boil and allow to cool.
- Slice meat against the grain about 1/16".
- Add meat and marinade and allow to set 24 to 48 hours for maximum absorbtion. (This is part of the reason you don't want any fat.).
- Place in dehydrator according to dehydrator's instructions and proceed to dry until it is flexible. This may be anywhere from 4-6 hours or 12-14 hours depending on dehydrator. (This is the other part of the reason you don't want any fat.).