1/2 Photos of Paul's Vegetarian Chili
My dad's work was holding a chili cook-off. His employee, Paul, brought in this recipe and won! My mom got the recipe and it has been a family favorite ever since. It isn't too spicy, but if you enjoy spicy cuisine, that is easily achieved.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 -3 serrano peppers or 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 medium zucchini, stemmed, trimmed, and diced
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans sweet corn
- 2 -4 portabella mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean, and cubed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 3 tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, and garlic, and Serrano (or jalapeño) peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft (about 3 minutes).
- 2Add the zucchini, corn, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until soft and the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown (about 6 minutes),
- 3Add chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne and cook until fragrant (about 30 sec).
- 4Add the tomatoes and stir well.
- 5Add the beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- 8Serve over brown rice and top with sour cream and avocado.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paul's Vegetarian Chili
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 646.5
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1596.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.1 g
- Sugars 19.8 g
- Protein 31.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: