1/2 Photos of Paul's Vegetarian Chili
My dad's work was holding a chili cook-off. His employee, Paul, brought in this recipe and won! My mom got the recipe and it has been a family favorite ever since. It isn't too spicy, but if you enjoy spicy cuisine, that is easily achieved.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 -3 serrano peppers or 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 medium zucchini, stemmed, trimmed, and diced
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans sweet corn
- 2 -4 portabella mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean, and cubed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 3 tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, and garlic, and Serrano (or jalapeño) peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft (about 3 minutes).
- 2Add the zucchini, corn, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until soft and the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown (about 6 minutes),
- 3Add chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne and cook until fragrant (about 30 sec).
- 4Add the tomatoes and stir well.
- 5Add the beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- 8Serve over brown rice and top with sour cream and avocado.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paul's Vegetarian Chili
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 646.5
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1596.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.1 g
- Sugars 19.8 g
- Protein 31.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: