Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A twist on the old standard meatloaf. This is from someone who used to run an old BBS that had a cooking "echo". I use 1/2 ground beef, and 1/2 ground turkey. Use a commercial canned marinara or make your own.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Put a cookie sheet in oven while preheating.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beef, breadcrumbs, milk, egg and spices.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until just soft.
- Mix into the meat mixture.
- Put into a loaf pan. Place loaf pan on preheated cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour or until firm in the middle.
- Cool slightly and slice.
- Heat marinara sauce, and top slices of meatloaf with it.
Mikekey this is a really great recipe. I never have used a red sauce over meatloaf and I really liked this so did DH. He had 3 slices!!! He also kept saying this is really good like this! Thank goodness I doubled the amount, now we have some for another dinner. This is a definite repeat performance! Made for MAKE MY RECIPE TAG ~ Ed'tn 14
We eat quite a lot of meatloaf and this one was pretty good thank you. I doubled the mix and used half ground turkey. I loved the flavour from the fennel seeds (may have used slightly more than you asked for) and found the meatloaf to be very moist.
A very flavoursime herby meatloaf, I only served 3 (with left overs for the DS's lunches for 2 days). For the marinara sauce I used Jensen's Organic Mushroom Pasta Sauce (2 cups [500grams] to a jar but only used 1 cup for 3 of us). With the DH not here I took the opportunity to used the onion in the mix and enjoyed (would normally sub spring onion/scallion). The only thing I would do different thought is in the last 5 minutes of cooking, drain off the fat and invert onto the tray to brown the outside. Thank you mikekey, made for Edition 8 - Make My Recipe.