Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Paulie's hotdish was my uncle's favorite hotdish when he was a kid, so it is his hotdish! I grew up with it and it is a favorite in our family!
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 118.29 ml ketchup
- 29.58 ml vinegar
- 14.79 ml mustard (I use a little less)
- 118.29 ml brown sugar (a loose 1/2 cup)
- 793.78 g canbush's original baked beans
- 793.78 g canb&m brick oven original baked beans
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Mix ingredients together in 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Remove foil for the last 10 minutes, to brown.
This is GREAT!! I do have to say that I halved it as well ( just two of us this evening and knew we'd never get around to eating the whole thing). Perfect "knee deep in snow" meal. Sweet, sour, goopy, messy. I paired it with a crusty loaf of bread and I have a feeling I won't need to eat again for a week! Bec... tell Uncle Paulie he's got a winner!!
I used maple syrup instead of brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar. I also changed the recipe to 3 servings (which essentially halved it). I found that it still took the same length of time to cook as the full amount. I found this to be an okay dish. It was extremely filling and tasted good, but just not my personal taste. I probably wouldn't make it again.
My husband's family calls this Humpty Dumpty! We use just regular pork and beans, and you need to be sure you taste it to make sure the proportions of ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar are just right. We always turn up the heat at the end to almost caramelize the entire dish. A dish everyone is guaranteed to love!