Recipe by paula giles
Came up with this dip from an "accident" during cooking. Is very good and quite different from the popular "ROTEL dip made with Velveeta" Try it and let me know what you think. Would love your opinion on how to make it better. Do you think fresh cilantro would be good?
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine (I Can't Believe It's Butter Light)
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 6 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 0.5 (7 ounce) can green chilies, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste, about
Directions See How It's Made
- Add oil and margarine; melt.
- Add flour and cook a little to lose raw taste (will be clumpy at this time).
- With a whisk, stir in milk and whisk out lumps (looks like they won't come out but they will).
- Cook over medium heat until bubbly.
- Grate Monterey Jack.
- Remove the roux from heat and stir in Jack cheese.
- Add other cheeses and spices.
- Stir well.
- If cheese doesn't melt, place pan over very low heat and stir.
- Add more spices to your own taste.