Recipe by Julesong
This recipe is from Paula Deen's Home Cooking show and is a delicious and easy change of pace for holiday dessert! This serves a large crowd, so is good for potlucks, too.
Top Review by Meghan
I have made this a few times as its a visually stunning dessert for special occasions. I go a little heavy on the SoCo sprinkling and just fold the whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture to save the hassle of making an extra layer and it turns out just fine. This recipe feeds an ARMY, when they say it serves 20, that's 20 with huge appetites. I will say the taste is subtle, its good but isn't mind blowing amazing. It always is a hit and its not nearly as dense as some holiday desserts so it is a nice change.
- 2 (14 ounce) packages gingerbread mix
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (30 ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup Southern Comfort (very tasty!) (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping
- 1⁄2 cup crushed gingersnap cookie
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped pecans, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven then mix and bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; turn out onto a rack and let cool completely.
- While gingerbread is baking, cook the vanilla pudding according to the package directions; set aside and let cool.
- When pudding has cooled, stir in the pie filling, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Crumble the cooled gingerbread into pieces (about 1/4 inch, but not too finely).
- (If you have a trifle bowl, wonderful- otherwise you can use another large decorative bowl or a punchbowl to assemble the trifle in).
- Put half of the crumbled gingerbread in the bottom of the bowl, sprinkle with half of the sherry or Southern Comfort (if using), then pour half of the pudding mixture over it, and then half of the whipped topping.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining prepared ingredients as above, then sprinkle the crushed gingersnaps over the top (2 or 3 tablespoons chopped pecans would make a good addition to the topping, as well).
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- Notes: you can use spice cake instead of gingerbread for a gentler flavor.