Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a meatless rice dish. It is very good and pretty spicy.
Make and share this Paula's Mexican Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 cup celery
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 cup dry rice
- 1 (10 ounce) canhot Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cheese
- Sauté onion, butter,celery.
- Add all other ingredients (except cheese); bring to boil, reduce, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish and add cheese.
I used mild Rotel and cut back on the chili powder. I also added some cubed Velveeta after cooking, making this a very cheesy Mexican rice. This was easy and quick, and a welcome addition to refried beans and tortillas. With my changes the rice wasn't spicy enough, so next time I'm using the full teaspoon of chili powder.
We enjoyed this very much. We didn't find it overly spicy at all, though, admittedly, we like spicy foods. I didn't have any Ro-tel tomatoes so I used 3/4 can of diced tomatoes and about 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes as a substitute. I also added about 1/2 cup of corn . Thanks for a great recipe.
Too spicy & not flavorful enough.