Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have been making this recipe for many years. We originally got it from the owner of a German Deli. It called for 20 pounds of potatoes and served 60. The most important part is the marinade. I usually let it soak overnight. I add chives, fresh dill, celery seed depending on my mood.
- Slice potatoes thin and boil until almost tender.
- While potatoes are boiling combine sugar, salt, white vinegar and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. As soon as potatoes are done, drain and put into large bowl. Immediately pour hot marinade over potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let potatoes marinate several hours or over night turning frequently.
- Drain and add celery, dill, onion. Add Mayo and Dijon mustard until desired consistency. You may not have to use all the mayo or you might need more.
- For German potato salad do not add Mayo, add cooked and crumbled bacon.
- For egg potato salad add quartered eggs before adding mayo. Save one egg to slice for the top.