Recipe by ~Paula~
This is my family's favorite soup ... even my kids enjoy it! I have made this for our church's soup suppers and I always come home with an empty crock pot!
Top Review by diannejm
This was as delicious as it was easy! I steamed the broccoli, but it would be even better with roasted broccoli. I used four cans of evaporated milk. Next time I'll use evaporated skim milk. I cut the butter to 5 tablespoons. I think it could be cut further to 3 tablespoons with no loss of flavor. I used Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning instead of Lawry's. I WILL prepare this regularly. Yum!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 small onion, minced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (I use Lawry's)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan and lightly sauté onion.
- Add flour, bouillon cubes and seasonings, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook broccoli according to package directions.
- Add broccoli and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- At this point, you could put in a crock set on low until ready to serve.
- NOTE: When I make this in the crock pot, I triple the cream soup base and add 2 packages of the broccoli florets.