Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful simple recipe to use up your garden-ripe tomatoes and fresh basil, taken from one of her most popular cookbooks "Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics" prep time does not include preparing and baking the pie crust
- 1 deep dish pie shell (9-inch)
- 1 egg white (lightly beaten, about 1 tablespoon)
- 5 roma tomatoes (use only Roma tomatoes)
- 8 -10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 large green onion, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise (can reduce to 3/4 cup)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the pie shell onto a baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the bottom and sides with egg white.
- Partially bake the pie crust for 8 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Layer the tomato slices with the basil and onion into the partially-baked pie shell, then sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- In a bowl mix together both cheeses and the mayonnaise, then spread over the tomatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.