This is a wonderful simple recipe to use up your garden-ripe tomatoes and fresh basil, taken from one of her most popular cookbooks "Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics" prep time does not include preparing and baking the pie crust
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 deep dish pie shell (9-inch)
- 1 egg white (lightly beaten, about 1 tablespoon)
- 5 roma tomatoes (use only Roma tomatoes)
- 8 -10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 large green onion, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise (can reduce to 3/4 cup)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Place the pie shell onto a baking sheet.
- 3Lightly brush the bottom and sides with egg white.
- 4Partially bake the pie crust for 8 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 5Layer the tomato slices with the basil and onion into the partially-baked pie shell, then sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- 6In a bowl mix together both cheeses and the mayonnaise, then spread over the tomatoes.
- 7Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paula Deen's Tomato Pie
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.6
- Calories from Fat 278
- Total Fat 30.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 44.7 mg
- Sodium 644.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 12.0 g