Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a wonderful simple recipe to use up your garden-ripe tomatoes and fresh basil, taken from one of her most popular cookbooks "Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics" prep time does not include preparing and baking the pie crust
Top Review by warmheartblonde
This recipe was fabulous! I made it for a potluck with a small group of friends, and everyone loved it. Besides how could anything with that much cheese taste bad! I will definitely make it again.
- 1 deep dish pie shell (9-inch)
- 1 egg white (lightly beaten, about 1 tablespoon)
- 5 roma tomatoes (use only Roma tomatoes)
- 8 -10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 large green onion, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise (can reduce to 3/4 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the pie shell onto a baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the bottom and sides with egg white.
- Partially bake the pie crust for 8 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Layer the tomato slices with the basil and onion into the partially-baked pie shell, then sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- In a bowl mix together both cheeses and the mayonnaise, then spread over the tomatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.