Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
from Paula Deen.
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup diced green onion
- 4 teaspoons processed cheese, cubed (suggested ( Velveeta)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (14 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Add the salt and slowly add the grits and return to a boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. While stirring the grits add the 1/2 cup of butter and stir until butter is melted. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the grits are thick and creamy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a skillet, sauté the onions in the remaining tablespoon of butter for 1 minute. Add the processed cheese, garlic powder, 1 1/2 cups Cheddar, and onions to grits, and stir until the cheese is melted. Add the tomatoes and mix well. Pour the grits into a greased 8 by 11 by 2-inch casserole and bake for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over the casserole for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.