Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I am posting the recipe as written by Paula Deen but I made a few changes. I used shredded taco cheese instead of cubed cheddar cheese. I mixed in a cup of salsa instead of topping each serving. I also used regular tostitos instead of doritos to mix in. The salad is great and very quick to make on a busy night.
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄2-1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 lb ground beef, browned, crumbled and drained
- 1 cup Catalina dressing
- 1 (7 ounce) bag plain Doritos, crushed
- 1 cup salsa
- tortilla chips, to serve with
- Combine the tomatoes, cheese, onion, lettuce and ground beef in a large bowl.
- Add the salad dressing and mix well.
- Just before serving, add the taco chips and toss.
- Top each serving with salsa and serve with tortilla chips.
My BF's mother made us this salad for dinner this past weekend. I have never had Catalina dressing before and found it a little sweet on it's own, but with some medium salsa to top it off, really was perfect. The only thing she added was a can of drained kidney beans, which was a great addition. Love this version of taco salad now, and we will be making it often! Thanks for sharing!!!
Thanks so much for posting this. It is a great recipe. We had this in our house as I was growing up and forgot all about it until I saw your posting.