Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious, melt in your mouth cake!
- butter, for greasing pans
- flour, for dusting pans
For the cake
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 (4 ounce) jarsstrained carrot baby food
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
For the frosting
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 3 (8 or 9-inch) cake pans.
- For the cake:
- Mix together the flour, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend well with a handheld electric mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Invert onto lint-free dishcloth, or waxed paper, and allow to cool completely.
- For the frosting:
- Mix all ingredients with handheld electric mixer and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Frost layers, top, and sides of cooled cake.
I don't know what I did wrong, but my cake turned out awful! After reading some of the reviews, I decided to use a 13 x 9 pan & I followed the instructions someone had written to do so. I also substituted applesauce for half the oil. The texture of the cake reminded me of shoo fly pie. It was not cake-like at all. If anyone might know what I did wrong, I would appreciate knowing.
Loved this! It is so light very different from your original dense cake. Yum, yum, YUMMY!
This will be the only carrot cake I make from now on, it was moist and wonderful. I've also heard you can substitute the baby food for applesauce, sweet potato or pumpkin baby food.