Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
from her autobiography - her husband's favorite dish - that he calls Swingin' Sirloins
- 2 oxtails, 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 8 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 -2 tablespoon house seasoning
- Trim as much fat off the tails as you can.
- Season with Paula's house seasoning [1 part of black pepper plus 1 part of garlic powder to 4 parts of salt].
- Sprinkle with soy sauce and cover with sliced onions and bay leaves
- Cover with 1 cup water.
- Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for about 3 hours at 325 degrees.
- Serve on top of buttered rice.
Very tasty meat! But 2 whole oxtails to serve 2 persons? I used 4 X 2" slices of oxtail, weighing about 1 kg (2 lb plus) alltogether. Seemed about right for the recipe. Also, I prepared it in pressure cooker, 40 minutes under high pressure. Falling off the bone good!
Wonderful flavor and super easy to prepare. This was the first time that I ever prepared oxtails and I was suprised by how much that they cooked up. They were tender and deliscious.
They're wonderful! We like the recipe so well that we've also cooked beef roasts this way. Tonight, we're trying it with a deer roast. It takes less than fifteen minutes of "hands on preparation". I can put it in the oven, program the oven for when and how long I want it to cook, and forget about it. My husband loves the smell when he gets home. Of course, about 30 minutes before it's done, he usually adds some root vegetables (something which I tend to forget to do). Potatoes which have been cooked this way are so good that they don't even need butter. This beats any seasoning mixture from French onion soup to homegrown herbs that I've tried for slow cooking red meat. Thanks!