Recipe by Scrivener1
I love this recipe! The rice is flavorful and just slightly spicy. I have typed it exactly as written. However, when I make it, I sautee the (sweet italian) sausage first without any butter or oil, and then I add the onion and bell pepper. I always buy a local brand of sausage and I never add salt to dishes with tomatoes in them.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sausage
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon red hot sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- add salt, to taste if desired (optional)
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and bell pepper in butter.
- Add sausage; heat until mixture is slightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, hot sauce, water, and bouillon cubes.
- Season with pepper and salt as needed.
- Stir in rice.
- Pour mixture into a greased casserole and bake for 45 minutes.