Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this in Paula's Cooking with Paula magazine and wanted to save it until I was able to try it.
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 4 slices bacon, thick cut, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large skillet, combine sausage, bacon, onion and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes or until sausage is browned and crumbly.
- Drain the grease and then stir in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gradually stir in half and half. Add pepper and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until gravy is thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted.
Way too much salt!!! Was delicious until I added the salt.
Found a recipe for biscuits and sausage gravy and decided to try this recipe as it was the same as Sawmill gravy-Very salty between the bacon and sausage and the teaspoon of salt-I would also have cooked the bacon first because it didn't get crispy and stayed flabby and also became very thick right away-I would add 2 tbs of flour instead of 3 to make it a little looser -I could take or leave the garlic-If I made this for breakfast,I would leave it out
I was craving biscuits and gravy and this definitely filled that desire. I loved the extra flavor that the bacon, garlic and onions added to "regular" sausage gravy, but next time I make this I will definitely omit the salt.