Recipe by LuuvBunny
This recipe is from Paula Deen's magazine called Holiday Baking. This cake looked so good I couldn't wait until the holidays to make it. It was amazing! If you want to try a really nice rum for this cake, if it's available in your area (also good in eggnog) try Captain Morgan's Private Stock. It is a rum with added spices, very nice. I made the glaze with this also. I halved that recipe and it was plenty. The serving size of this depends on how big a slice you cut :) Salt is not listed as an ingredient because I use salted butter but if you use unsalted butter or just want this cake saltier add 1/2 tsp salt.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease entire 12-cup tube pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, rum and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
- Bake 1 hour and 10-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes clean.
- Pierce top of cake 8-10 times with a thin skewer. Pour Rum Glaze over hot cake.
- Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, invert onto wire rack and let cool completely. Serve cake pecan side up.
- Rum Glaze:.
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.