Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe is from Paula Deen's magazine called Holiday Baking. This cake looked so good I couldn't wait until the holidays to make it. It was amazing! If you want to try a really nice rum for this cake, if it's available in your area (also good in eggnog) try Captain Morgan's Private Stock. It is a rum with added spices, very nice. I made the glaze with this also. I halved that recipe and it was plenty. The serving size of this depends on how big a slice you cut :) Salt is not listed as an ingredient because I use salted butter but if you use unsalted butter or just want this cake saltier add 1/2 tsp salt.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease entire 12-cup tube pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, rum and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
- Bake 1 hour and 10-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes clean.
- Pierce top of cake 8-10 times with a thin skewer. Pour Rum Glaze over hot cake.
- Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, invert onto wire rack and let cool completely. Serve cake pecan side up.
- Rum Glaze:.
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Turned out perfectly. Lovely crumb. High rise but still dense and tender. Rum not overwhelming. Perfect.
Very moist, full of flavor. Will be making this again.
wonderful cake.... moist flavorful... the nuts add an extra dimension... sooo delicious!!!