- 1 (13 -16 ounce) French bread
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half (* Heavy Whipping Cream also works!*)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- maple syrup
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the Praline Topping:.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.
- Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden.
- Serve with maple syrup.