Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Very easy to make and delicious. Make it up the day before and set in refrigerator over night. This is a great recipe from a great southern cook, Paula Deen.
- 8 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 10 -12 slices soft bread, 1 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- Generously butter a 13 X 9 inch casserole dish;.
- Mix the eggs, half and half, maple syrup,and sugar in a large bowl.
- Place the bread slices in the prepared casserole dish and cover with the egg mixture: cover with plastic wrap and let soak overnight in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; remove the casserole from refrigerator.
- Make the Topping: melt the butter in a saucepan; add sugar and maple syrup and cook for 1 to 2 minutes; stir in pecans;.
- Pour the mixture over the bread and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, allow to cool 10 minutes before serving, enjoy.
This was a HIT this morning!!! It wasn't too sweet and was so fast and easy to make! If maple syrup were cheaper, I'd make it every weekend! I used day old store-bought French bread, cut into 15 slices. I layered it a 9x13 glass casserole dish (3 rows of 5 slices). I added a tsp of vanilla and some cinnamon and nutmeg (eyeballed the amount) into the egg mixture. Instead of 2 cups of pecans, I cut it down to 1/2 cup and it was the perfect amount. I posted a picture of my casserole to show how I layered it. I would have liked to garnish it with powdered sugar. I served this with sausage patties and fresh sliced strawberries. This is a keeper! Thank you!
I only had enough bread to make a half recipe, and since I didn't have a small enough casserole dish, I crumbled the bread into the batter and spooned the mixture into well-greased muffin tins. I filled the cups 2/3 full with the batter, then divided the topping among them. Half a batch makes about 8-10 muffins, and the cooking time is around 35-40 minutes.
Aznbbdoll , Easy to make your own maple syrup.<br/>Just water, sugar and maple flavoring.<br/>Cheaper than purchasing maple syrup.