Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yummy brownie-textured bars with great orange flavor. And they are frosted, too, for extra orange zing!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure orange extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 (1 lb) box confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- To make the brownies, stir together flour, granulated sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add butter, eggs, orange extract and orange zest. Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until light golden brown and set.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool and pierce entire cake with a fork. Spread the Orange Cream Cheese Frosting over completely cooled brownies. Cut into squares.
- To make the frosting, whip the butter and cream cheese together in a large mixing bowl, using a hand-held mixed. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until it is all combined and smooth. Beat in the orange zest and juice. Spread over browwnies.
Wow!! That's all I have to say. Make them for yourself and you will see!
These are yummy! I made these to take to a picnic and they almost didn't make it because I couldn't stop sampling them. I didn't have orange extract on hand, so I substituted orange liquor. It turned out perfectly. The recipe tastes more like a cake than brownies-very light and fluffy texture. Only for those with a sweet tooth-very sweet and orange flavor. Definitely making again.
This is a really delicious recipe. Piercing the cake with a fork makes the texture very unique and the frosting moistens the brownies more, also. The butter can easily be cut in half by supplementing with a 1/2 c. of applesauce. I love Paula Deen's recipes! Thank you for posting!