Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My favorite meatloaf recipe. Try using a mixture of ground beef, lamb, veal or pork instead of all beef.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces canned tomatoes with juice, diced
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- mix all ingredients except ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar.
- place into baking dish and shape into loaf.
- mix ketchup, mustard and brown sugar.
- spread on loaf.
- bake for 1 hour.
I made this for a friend of mine when I discovered that his favorite food was meatloaf. I'm not really big on eating so much meat, so I was surprised that I liked it! And my friend told me it was the best meatloaf he had ever eaten! The original Paula Deen recipe calls for tomatoes without the juice, so that is what I used.
I made this a few months ago and forgot to review it until I took a small one out of the freezer today for supper tonight. This meatloaf is moist and delicious and freezes well. I will keep this recipe on my regular rotation and some in the freezer. Thanks!
No, no, no, no no. Too wet (must have been the juice) and way too mushy. Originally looking for some variety in my old standby, but as the old saying goes... "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".