I saw this on a video for Food Network, and it looked so good. Putting here for safe keeping.
Make and share this Paula Deen's Mashed Baked Potato Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups frozen hash browns
- 7 5⁄8 ounces instant mashed potatoes with butter and herbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups French fried onion rings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and add the hash browns. Cook for 5 minutes and drain. In a large bowl, mix together the cooked hash browns, mashed potato mix, butter, cream cheese, jack cheese, sour cream, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Stir in the boiling water. Place in a greased 2-quart casserole dish. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle the onion rings over the casserole and bake for about 5 to 8 minutes longer until onions are golden brown.
Pretty good. Not as good as Timberlodge's Lumberjack Hash Browns. Probably won't make these again because I never buy instant potatoes, only this once to try this recipe. They are kinda dry also, I used 3 and 1/2 cups of water and think I could have used a tad more.
Flavor of this casserole was right on delicious. Made this w/o the onion rings for DD preference. Made for Gimme5.
This was a pretty good potato dish. I liked the crunchy french fried onions on top. I cut the recipe in half and it worked great. Thanks so much for posting!