Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
"All southern women are brought up to be able to make several dishes. This is one of them. This is the same recipe that my Maw-Maw used. She served it plain with powdered sugar on top, with strawberries & homemade whipped cream. If you were lucky she would toast you a piece for breakfast, and you could have it with one of her homemade jam's or jellies."
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease & flour a 10" tube pan or bundt pan.
- Sift dry Ingredients.
- Cream butter & shortening together.
- Add sugar a little at a time.
- Cream until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition to fully incorporate the eggs into the batter.
- Add dry ingredients and milk to mixture alternating; starting and ending with flour.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until it passes the toothpick test.
This goes in the keeper file. Perfection served with whipped cream and fresh seasonal fruit.
I made this today and it is delicious! It is so simple to make and it will have you going back for more. I had it plain, but I think it would be delicious with some strawberries or other fresh fruit. Definitely a keeper. I did only have to bake mine for about 55 minutes.
this is the same recipe that my mom always made when I was a kid. It is the best pound cake out there. I can still remember sitting on the floor in the kichen with that bowl of leftover cake batter... sooooo good!