1/2 Photos of Paula Deen's Layered Mexican Cornbread
This quite possibly might be the best cornbread you will ever have, it bakes out high, light and fluffy, it really should be called a corn cake lol! The jalapenos can be substituted with one small finely chopped green bell pepper, or one 4-ounce can green chilies, drained. Since I prefer the taste of olive oil I used that instead of the melted butter, this is a recipe of Paula Deen's tweeked slightly I think for the better ;-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream (or use milk)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt or 1/2 teaspoon white salt
- 1/3 cup melted butter or 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onions, finely chopped or 1 small green onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed or 1 cup drained canned corn niblet
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter a 8 x 8-inch or a 9 x 9-inch square baking dish.
- 3In a large bowl mix together cornmeal with flour, sugar baking powder, garlic powder, milk, eggs, seasoned salt and melted butter or oil until well blended.
- 4Add in onion and creamed corn and thawed corn; mix to combine.
- 5Pour half the batter into prepared baking dish.
- 6Sprinkle the layer with grated cheese and jalapeno peppers.
- 7Pour the remaining batter on top of the cheese and jalapeno peppers.
- 8Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (baking time will vary slightly depending on the size of pan used).
- 9Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paula Deen's Layered Mexican Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.6
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 85.8 mg
- Sodium 584.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: