Recipe by jt*s_mom
From Paula Deen's visit on "The view" Looked so yummy. Haven't tried it yet, but it's Paula Deen!
Top Review by Douglas C.
I made this at 1 1/2 times the measurement quantity because a 12" size skillet is what my grandmother always cooked in, so that's the size I use. I didn't have to adjust the temperature or time and the toothpick came out clean on the first check. It turned out the right thickness and the flavor was very good. I won't be buying and doctoring any more packaged mixes after trying this. Thanks.
- 1 cup all-purpose cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped jalapeno pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8 by 8-inch or 9 by 9-inch square pan with softened butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, milk, eggs, salt, and oil.
- Stir in onion and creamed corn.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan.
- Top with cheese and peppers, spreading onto batter.
- Pour remaining batter on top of cheese and peppers.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before cutting into squares.