Recipe by jt*s_mom
From Paula Deen's visit on "The view" Looked so yummy. Haven't tried it yet, but it's Paula Deen!
Top Review by ashleyk_xox
This isn't the "best" I've tasted but I ate 3 pieces so it was def tasty! My changes: I used canned jalepenos diced inside, I had to cook it way longer in a 9 x 9 and I only had skim milk. Not sure if the milk affected it. It was so moist and cheesy I wasn't sure if it was done-which could be a good thing. I would cut down the cheese a little if using a 9x9. Next time I would use a 9 x 13, cut down the cheese, and try whole milk. I gave 4 stars because the time is incorrect and I think it would've over flowed in an 8 x 8. I would also use a bigger onion next time I couldn't taste it at all. Maybe a med/small? And possibly more salt... this was just a little bland to me. But I will try it again!
- 1 cup all-purpose cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped jalapeno pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8 by 8-inch or 9 by 9-inch square pan with softened butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, milk, eggs, salt, and oil.
- Stir in onion and creamed corn.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan.
- Top with cheese and peppers, spreading onto batter.
- Pour remaining batter on top of cheese and peppers.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before cutting into squares.