Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are easy to make and taste very similar to ginger snaps. Yum!
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
- Using an electric mixer at low speed, cream the shortening and sugar until thoroughly combined.
- Add the egg and molasses and beat until completely incorporated.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt and add to the mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Roll the dough into balls about 1-inch in diameter.
- Roll the balls in sugar.
- Place 1/2-inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Flatten the balls slightly with your fingertips.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
so good!!! mom and I could eat a whole batch by ourselves! thanx for sharing.