Recipe by DeeCooks
Paula Deen's recipe for fresh apple cake is better than my grandma's--- but don't let her know that! I like this even better than apple pie.
Top Review by Alice Robertson Clark
My Aunt Vicki made this for a family reunion. It was to die for. My grandmother used to make jam cake every year. Vicki convienced us that we really didn't like the jam cake, it was the icing that we like. (The carmel icing you find on jam cakes.) So - Aunt Vicki made this Apple cake and put the beloved carmel frosting on it. This is so good.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups chopped apples (about 3 apples)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- prepared frosting, melted (from a can)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease 10" tube pan, combine 3 Tablespoons sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, coat pan with sugar mixture.
- Mix flour, soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon; set aside. Beat oil and sugar until blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and then stir in apples and vanilla. Add flour mixture until blended; stir in pecans and raisins.
- Transfer to pan and then drop and shake the pan to release bubbles.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours - 1 3/4 hours until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on rack 15 minutes, remove from pan and glaze.