Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Paula made this last week and it looked so delicious. Can't wait to try it.
Make and share this Paula Deen's French Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Saute onions and garlic in oil over low heat until tender and golden yellow.
- Sprinkle flour over onions, cook a few minutes more, browning the flour well.
- Add stock and wine and bring to a boil, add thyme and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, slice French bread into 3/4-inch slices and butter both sides. Toast slices on griddle until golden brown.
- Ladle soup into an ovenproof bowl, add toasted bread and cover with cheese.
- Place ovenproof bowl on a baking sheet lined with tin foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees 4 or 5 minutes under a hot broiler.
Paula Deen has never let me down. So far this is the best onion soup I've made. The gruyere is expensive, but such a necessary indulgence!
Impera_Magna suggested this recipe as a starter for my mothers birhtday. I made it the evening before up to step 4 then stored it in the fridge. On the evening of the dinner party i reheated it anc continued with step 5 onwards. It was delicious, the depth of flavour was wonderful. thank you for a great recipe lily