Paula made this last week and it looked so delicious. Can't wait to try it.
Make and share this Paula Deen's French Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Saute onions and garlic in oil over low heat until tender and golden yellow.
- Sprinkle flour over onions, cook a few minutes more, browning the flour well.
- Add stock and wine and bring to a boil, add thyme and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, slice French bread into 3/4-inch slices and butter both sides. Toast slices on griddle until golden brown.
- Ladle soup into an ovenproof bowl, add toasted bread and cover with cheese.
- Place ovenproof bowl on a baking sheet lined with tin foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees 4 or 5 minutes under a hot broiler.
Paula Deen has never let me down. So far this is the best onion soup I've made. The gruyere is expensive, but such a necessary indulgence!
Impera_Magna suggested this recipe as a starter for my mothers birhtday. I made it the evening before up to step 4 then stored it in the fridge. On the evening of the dinner party i reheated it anc continued with step 5 onwards. It was delicious, the depth of flavour was wonderful. thank you for a great recipe lily