Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This layered cake looks "normal" from the outside, but inside there is a delicious layer of almond-flavored cheesecake. This recipe will make 1 (9-inch) cake and 1 (9-inch) cheesecake. The frosting recipe should make about 5 cups of frosting. You may want to make the cheesecake before the chocolate cake because it needs to refrigerate for 4 hours.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup almond flavored liqueur
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons almond flavored liqueur
Chocolate Almond Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 12 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted and cooled
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond flavored liqueur
- For cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, liqueur, water, oil and eggs.
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans, and bake 28-30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For almond-flavored cheesecake, preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a 9-inch round baking pan with aluminum foil, letting edges of foil extend over sides of pan; lightly grease foil.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add sugar, beating until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in sour cream and liqueur.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake 45 minutes.
- Turn oven off; leave cheesecake in oven with door closed for 1 hour.
- Let cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Cover and chill for 4 hours.
- Using edges of foil as handles, remove cheesecake from pan.
- Gently remove foil from cheesecake.
- For frosting, in large bowl, beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add chocolate, beating until combined.
This cake was really great. My husband and I own a catering business and a Sports Page Cafe in Pensacola, FL. Both my clients and customers really enjoyed this cake and it was very pretty. I recommend it to anyone that wants to impress someone. Pam