Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great Paula Deen recipe that I am wanting to try very soon. The recipe comes from the foodtv.com website. Cook time is based on the pre-cooked rice and bread that has already been dried.
- 2 loaves white bread, oven dried (recommended-Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 4 ounces saltine crackers, crushed (1 sleeve)
- 1 lb bulk sausage (breakfast type)
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 7 cups chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄8 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Crumble oven-dried bread into a large bowl. Add rice and saltines.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet until it starts to brown. Add celery and onion and saute until transparent, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour over bread and rice mixture. Add stock and mix well. Add salt, pepper, sage, and poultry seasoning. Mix well. Add the beaten eggs and melted butter. Mix well. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the stuffing mixture for the Mushroom Giblet Gravy.
- Pour stuffing into a greased pan and bake until cooked through and golden brown,.
I thought it was a bit strange to have rice and crackers along with the bread in a dressing, but I love most of Paula's recipes so I gave this a try. It was so good! My nephew could not stop eating it. He ate half the casserole. This has been one of my regular Holiday recipes for several years. I cut the recipe in half and it still makes plenty!
I made this last Thanksgiving and even my biggest critic, my father inlaw raved about it. I'm making it again, it is wonderful!