Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Can't believe this wasn't on zaar. I like Paula's cooking y'all!
Make and share this Paula Deen's Collard Greens recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
To prepare the Greens
- 1⁄2 lb smoked ham hocks or 1⁄2 lb smoked turkey wings or 1⁄2 lb smoked turkey, neck bones
- 1 tablespoon house seasoning
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 1 tablespoon butter
- To make the House Seasoning, mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add smoked meat, House Seasoning, seasoned salt and hot sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 hour.
- Wash the collard greens thoroughly. Remove the stems that run down the center by holding the leaf in your left hand and stripping the leaf down with your right hand. The tender young leaves in the heart of the collards don't need to be stripped. Stack 6 to 8 leaves on top of one another, roll up, and slice into 1/2 to 1-inch thick slices. Place greens in pot with meat and add butter. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with favorite dish as a side.
When I find something I like, I don't vary much. This was the first greens recipe I ever attempted after moving to Florida and wanting to learn to prepare some "southern" dishes. Tried it, LOVED it. We had a guest who said they didn't like greens of any kind...but liked these.