1/3 Photos of Paula Deen's Chocolate Ganache Cake
This is from Paula Deen's magazine called Holiday Baking from 2007.It is amazing!I love the store bought cakes that have the buttercream icing and this is just like it,plus an added bonus of ganache over the top.This will be my new birthday cake to make every year! I didn't use buttermilk I used milk with lemon juice.For the 1/3 cup buttermilk called for I added 1 tsp of lemon juice to the milk. Prep time does not include freezer time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk, plus
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3Grease and flour 3 (9 inch) cake pans.
- 4In a large bowl,beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- 5Add sugar,beating until fluffy.
- 6Add egg yolks,one at a time,beating well after each addition.
- 7In a medium bowl,combine flour and baking powder.
- 8In a small bowl,combine milk,buttermilk,cream and vanilla.
- 9Add flour mixture to butter mixture,alternately with milk mixture,beginning amd ending with flour mixture,beating until just combined.
- 10In a medium bowl,beat egg whites at medium speed with an electric mixer until stiff.
- 11Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- 12Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
- 13Bake for 22-24 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes clean.
- 14Let cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- 15Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- 16Spread Vanilla Buttercream in between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- 17Place cake in freezer for 30 minutes.
- 18Pour warm ganacheover top of cake letting it run down sides.
- 19Garnish with chocolate covered strawberries if desired.
- 20Vanilla Buttercream:.
- 21In a large bowl,beat butter and shortening at medium speed with a electric mixer until creamy.
- 22Gradually beat in icing sugar until smooth.
- 23Beat in vanilla.
- 24Chocolate Ganache:.
- 25In a medium bowl combine cream and chocolate.
- 26Microwave on high in 30 second intervals,stirring between each,until chocolate is melted and smooth(about 2 minutes).
- 27Let cool for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paula Deen's Chocolate Ganache Cake
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 916.9
- Calories from Fat 487
- Total Fat 54.2 g
- Saturated Fat 27.0 g
- Cholesterol 128.8 mg
- Sodium 285.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 84.8 g
- Protein 6.1 g