Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a great bar cookie. I got rave reviews when I recently made them.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8-inch square pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- Turn off the heat, add the brown sugar and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the egg.
- Stir together the flour and baking powder and stir into the brown sugar mixture.
- Stir in the vanilla and pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- When cool, dust the top with a sifting of confectioners' sugar.
This recipe came out as I expected. It was delicious. I actually stumbled across it. It was a late night and we were all out of white sugar and we really wanted something sweet so my husband told me to google and see what kind of things could be baked with only brown sugar and this was the first thing to pop up. When I baked them they came out with a crispy outside and chewy center. Think of a caramel brownie. Thats what I told my husband they should be called. We were really in the mood for chocolate so we added about 1/8 cup of cocoa powder and it came out excellent. Its a must try. The other thing I love about it is that it was made out of things that most people have just sitting in the kitchen. Enjoy!
For being so simple (every one of the ingredients can be found in 99% of all kitchens) the outcome of this recipe tastes surprisingly complex. I made a batch on the fly, for no good reason other than we didn't have anything to end our fabulous Saturday night dinner. Five minute prep? Actually, this has the makings of being pit crew fast if you microwave the butter in a big bowl and mix your dry ingredients in the measuring cup. So it was a low mess recipe too! But the proof is in the chewing, so to speak. Buttery delicious chewy Heaven. Would be over the top delectible with a small scoop of vanilla bean icecream. The only downside to Paula Deen's Brown Sugar Chewies is that you have to wait for them to cool! But when they do, prepare to wreck your diet.
Yummy! You can't go wrong with butter and brown sugar. These are so easy and are a new favorite of my Hubby. I made them as directed only omitting the powdered sugar dusting. Made for the Gimme 5 tag game.