I make a similar salad using bok choy or napa cabbage. I haven't tried this recipe yet but I already know it will be delicious!
- 2 (3 ounce) bags oriental-flavor instant ramen noodles, reserve seasoning packet for dressing (other flavors will work, too)
- 3⁄8 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 (12 ounce) bagsbags broccoli coleslaw mix (in the bagged salad section of the grocery store)
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- chopped green onion, for garnish
Dressing Mix (reserved seasoning packet plus)
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Put the ramen noodles in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin while melting butter in a large skillet over low/medium heat.
- Add the crushed noodles and slivered almonds to the skillet and sauté, stirring occasionally (keep temperature at low/medium heat).
- Meanwhile, whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the shredded broccoli into bowl and toss with the noodles, almonds, and sunflower seeds.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Garnish with chopped green onions.
I liked this, but not sure if I'd make it again because the rest of the family didn't care for it.
Wow! This was a great change from our normal coleslaw - cabbage salad. Made a great side and kept nicely in the fridge, if you keep the noodles separate that is. I just mix them in on my plate so that I can enjoy the great crunch every time. I lightened this up bc I am on a diet and this recipe made doing that very easy! I did not realize I was out of almonds when I went to make this so those were omitted- sorry! I omitted the butter all together and toasted the seeds and noodles in the microwave- a secret my aunt shared with me. Just pop them in the mw and toast 30 seconds at a time- shake and repeat til done to your liking. They then release a natural oil but you could spray with a cooking oil if you like. The cider vinegar gives a great tang to the dressing! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!
We loved this salad. The textures are fantastic and the flavour is amazing. Easy to make to boot. I halved it this time but will make the full recipe next time. This would be great to pack in a lunchbox! Thanks!