Recipe by Chabear01
I found this recipe in Paula Deen's magazine. It calls for Canadian bacon, but I didn't have any available and a run to the market is over 30 minute drive, so used regular bacon, crumbled. It still turned out to be delicious. I think it would be the perfect dish for just any meal, don't just use this for breakfast or brunch, it made a fantastic dinner. This needs to be made ahead as it needs to sit from 8 hours to overnight, so make it before leaving for work, and come home to an easy cook meal.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 English muffins, cut in half
- 1 (8 ounce) container chive & onion cream cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) packagesliced Canadian bacon, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons chives, fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- fresh tomato, slices and
- fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender; set aside. Spread English muffins with cream cheese. Layer English muffins, Canadian bacon, tomatoes, red peppers, 2 cups cheese, and onion into prepared baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, chives, salt and pepper. Pour over layers. Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 cups cheese. Bake uncovered for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Garnish with fresh tomato slices and fresh parsley, if desired.