Prep 45 mins
Cook 9 hrs 30 mins
I found this recipe in Paula Deen's magazine. It calls for Canadian bacon, but I didn't have any available and a run to the market is over 30 minute drive, so used regular bacon, crumbled. It still turned out to be delicious. I think it would be the perfect dish for just any meal, don't just use this for breakfast or brunch, it made a fantastic dinner. This needs to be made ahead as it needs to sit from 8 hours to overnight, so make it before leaving for work, and come home to an easy cook meal.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 English muffins, cut in half
- 1 (8 ounce) container chive & onion cream cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) packagesliced Canadian bacon, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons chives, fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- fresh tomato, slices and
- fresh parsley
- Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender; set aside. Spread English muffins with cream cheese. Layer English muffins, Canadian bacon, tomatoes, red peppers, 2 cups cheese, and onion into prepared baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, chives, salt and pepper. Pour over layers. Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 cups cheese. Bake uncovered for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Garnish with fresh tomato slices and fresh parsley, if desired.
Tasty! I halved the milk, perfect.
I made this for my parents evening meal. To avoid any "wetness" I decided to pat dry the peppers, and deseed the tomatoes - although I think if I had used roma's I wouldn't have had to bother to deseed. I had no trouble with this being wet as another reviewer stated, and the bake time was just fine. I also used bacon as that was what I had on hand. This made a lovely and delicious dish that my parents enjoyed very much! Thanks ChaCha! I'll make this again! Made for Kittencal's Chef's Pick Tag
This strata ended up being pretty wet. I'd recommend extra cooking time. Not my favorite.