Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These burgers take a little more time than regular ones, but they are so worth it! I saw Paula Deen make this on TV and they just made my mouth water...and I'm not really that fond of hamburgers. ;-) But these are so juicy and wonderful...I hope you enjoy! Note: These took a little longer to make than the suggested 8-10 minutes per side, but I used 2 lbs of beef for really BIG burgers and I also used my electric skillet, so maybe that made a difference too.
- In a large bowl, season the ground beef with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/2 c cold water and mix by hand until meat has absorbed all the water (the water keeps the burgers moist and juicy).
- Shape into 4 patties.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spray the skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the burgers and cook to desired temperature, about 8-10 minutes per side for medium-well.
- Remove the burgers from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion slices to the same skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides, being careful to keep them in whole slices; it should take about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Crack the eggs into the same skillet and cook until the yolk is not runny. Carefully remove from pan.
- Lay the bottom of the 4 hamburger buns on a flat surface.
- Top each bun with a burger.
- Top the burgers with 1 egg, onion slice, 1 slice of cheese and then the top bun.
- Lightly press the sandwich together with your hand.
- Place the sandwiches into the pan and cook for 1 minute on each side to griddle the buns.
- Serve and enjoy!
These were great. I didn't prepare them, Hubby did while I went on a bike ride. The only thing different was we used chedder cheese slices, not sure how much that would change things? Still GREAT burger.
These burgers are great! The first time I made them i was sure I was ruining my hamburger...after all who adds water to their hamburg meat specially since I had splurged and was using ground sirloin..well that was a year ago and have not made them without since...wonderful juicy burger!