Recipe by 2bizzy
I'm betting this would be good with some freshly made toasted croutons on top.
Top Review by nisea916
Good soup! I don't know yet how the family likes it b/c I dipped into the pot a little early. I only made two minor changes. Didn't have green onion, so used white. And being a huge fan of bacon, I used at least 15 slices! Judging by the amount of soup in the pot, and the amount that I can eat alone, I don't see this serving 8. No problem, I'm just going to have to make another pot. Thanks for posting this recipe.
- 5 slices bacon, finely diced, plus crisp crumbles bacon, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup diced green onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups finely sliced iceberg lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup instant flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, heated to a simmer
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3-quart pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the lettuce and saute for 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour into the pot, then stir until well blended.
- Remove pot from the heat and add hot chicken broth, tomatoes, nutmeg and pepper. Heat the soup to boiling, stirring constantly, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add the cream and mix well.
- Mix together the mayonnaise and sour cream. Serve each portion of soup with a dollop of mayonnaise mixture topped with crumbled bacon.